Monday, July 26, 2010

Shhh! This Is A Secret!

I'm going to be very unoriginal and start a blog about weight loss, fitness and general attempts to improve my life. I used to journal a lot as a teenager, but I don't feel secure in doing that anymore. I can't express everything freely knowing someone could just pick it up and read it. Hiding a journal seems weird. A blog may be read by anyone, but I don't see how anyone could know it was me and there are like 10 buzzillion of them anyway. Needle in a needle stack!

My weigh-in this morning was 186.75. About what I expected. I'd like to try not to be spastic and lose weight gradually. I want to be in this for the long haul, instead of my usual "all on or all off" style. With that in mind, I've got a few small goals for the next few days.
  1. Meditate. Also known as sit in the bathroom quietly for 2 minutes to relax. I can sit like I did in yoga class, using a folded towel to prop up my butt. I've set a watch timer for 2 minutes so that I don't have to pay attention to the time. This is a time for me to calm down not only in the morning, but when I feel out of control about eating. It simulates a smoke break for me. I have never really learned to live calmly without smoking. I know it's been over 8 years, but I've spent that 8 years eating to calm myself or being an absolute nervous wreck. It felt good this morning.
  2. Exercise. Of course. I'd like to run regularly again. I sure don't want to do it right now :). Run Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays, allowing for injury and soreness. My knees have been aching even without running, so I have to be kind to myself and start out at where I'm at. If I can't run a full half-hour, I can finish it out with walking. On the other days, I want to walk 30 minutes.
  3. Keep track of food intake. For right now I don't want to limit food, just keep track. Every day and even if I have to estimate. Oh, how that hurts! I like to know exactly and I feel like quitting if I don't know exactly how much I ate. I need to practice being okay with that.
That's enough for now. I'll add in the exercise and food info later... Hey, this was a nice way to begin the day!